Tuesday 30 April 2013

How to make your own wedding ring part 1


Because of the significance of a wedding band, I wanted a ring that was both special and unique to me. I decided that the best way forward would be to make my own. In that way, through choice of material and the labour of making i would have a ring that is not only unique to me but also reminds me of the journey to get here and bond that it symbolises.

So for those interested, here is how i did it.

The Material

I make my living by working with my hands so I wanted a metal that was both tough and durable. I chose pattern welded (also know as Damascus) Titanium because of it's toughness, weight, appearance and the process through which it is made. This very special material is only produced by a handful of craftsmen around the world and has a pattern like wood grain. The pattern is produced by welding different alloys of titanium together and then twisting the welded bar. the patterns are largely random and no two pieces are alike. I contacted Richard Furrer from Door County Forgeworks in Wisconsin. 


Along with Damascus titanium Ric also makes beautiful Knives, Swords, Axes and Tools from his own hand made Damascus Steel. have a look at his work here:
http://doorcountyforgeworks.com/Available_Work.html


this is my piece of Titanium, milled square and ready to go. More to follow...


1 comment:

  1. We did this yesterday, and it was incredible. Starting with a pile of gold balls, we ended with rings that we would never have been able to afford from Gallery of Jewels or whatever. pet bobbleheads

    ReplyDelete