Monday 28 May 2012

Testing the new shape


New 9'4" for Nick Radford
Initial report....

The combination of vee, hips, and wide diamond tail makes for really nice transitions off the top and into a cutback, and the softer rails are still responsive with them being bladed out more in the tail. The lower widepoint seems to have a number of advantages - for general maneuverability and responsiveness surfing off the tail (with the widepoint by your front foot), or initiating turns further up the board with the roll, but mainly noseriding...

It creates a really solid trim when it locks in. This might be a combination of the kick in the tail and slightly turned down rails in the nose also, but it really holds my weight (14 odd stone) on the nose - because of the increased weight / volume in the tail with the lower widepoint and heavy glass job, and the resulting counterbalance when locked in for a noseride. it makes a solid platform for walking, and the softer rails are more forgiving in this respect. In my 15 years of riding longboards, I'd go as far as to say this is one of the best noseriders I've ever had, maybe the best! And it still goes good off the tail.

I've been riding it with a big Hynson red fin, which creates really nice drive and hold. Seems like a good fin for it, or maybe a big pivot fin. Anything too small or flexy I might be concerned the wide tail would ping out. I can give more detailed feedback when I've surfed it more, but for now it feels spot on!



No comments:

Post a Comment